North London Removals: Removals Winchmore Hill
Removals, Storage, Man and Van Hire and House Clearance in Winchmore Hill and N21.
Allen & Young are a North London based Moving and Storage Company and we regularly move clients to, from and within the Winchmore Hill area. We offer Removals, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, Storage and House Clearance, with removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap also available for purchase via our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although we offer the full range of removal services, frequently undertaking large moves, we also specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Winchmore Hill.
About Winchmore Hill
Winchmore Hill is a district in the Borough of Enfield, North London, in the N21 postal district. Once a small village hamlet in the parish of Edmonton, Winchmore Hill now borders with Palmers Green, Southgate, Edmonton, and Grange Park. Prior to occupation by the Romans, Hertfordshire, Essex and Middlesex were invaded and occupied by the Belgian Catuvellauni tribe. It is believed that this tribe built an ancient hill fort on the mound where Bush Hill Park Golf club HQ now stands. The earliest recorded mention of Winchmore Hill is in a deed dated A.D. 1319 in which it is spelt Wynsemerhull.
In Old English, ‘merhull’ translates according the Concise Oxford Dictionary of English place names as ‘boundary hill’. It might be speculated that the overall title could mean ‘Wynsige’s boundary hill’. By 1395 the name had been altered to Wynsmerhull and by 1565 the village was known as Wynsmorehyll, becoming Winchmore Hill by the time it was mentioned in state papers in 1586.
There are many buildings of historical note in Winchmore Hill including St Paul’s Church, which was built as a Waterloo church on land donated from the Grovelands estate. The church ceiling was said to be the largest unsupported expanse of plasterwork in Europe until its renovation in the 1960s introduced concealed supports. The original wooden clapboard St Paul’s School building can be seen a little further down Church Hill. The remains of the second brick and stone, school building are evident in the walls of the church car park. The current 1960s building is on Ringwood Way, off Station Road.
The oldest pub in the district is probably the Green Dragon – on Green Lanes. It is reputed to have started in 1726 on the junction of Green Lanes and Green Dragon Lane. The Victoria County History reveals that by 1752 The Green Dragon was established, although not in it present form. At that time, highwaymen were hanged near to where they were caught, and it is said that one was caught and executed on a gallows erected by the Green Dragon’s front entrance. These gallows were not pulled down for a number of years, which might have prompted the owner to move the pub to its current location at the bottom of Vicars Moor Lane near the end of the 18th century. The original Green Dragon was pulled down in 1892 and the new one was extensively remodelled in 1935.
Reportedly, the Woodman pub near the end of Broadwalk was built in 1727, although there is also evidence to suggest it dates from 1820. Before the building obtained a pub licence in 1868, it was private residence. Numerous local buildings that were constructed between 1770 and 1839 remain today. Near the Dog and Duck on Hoppers Road are some old terraced houses built around 1770. Number 106A Vicars Moor Lane is a distinctive private residence that retains the facade of a chapel. To the east on the same road are a number of residences that were probably built around the late 18th or early 19th century. Read more…