East London Removals: Removals Whitechapel
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Whitechapel and E1, East London.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the Whitechapel area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Whitechapel.
If you need a remover, a man and van, some storage, packing or house clearance in the Whitechapel area, simply call or email Allen and Young today.
Whitechapel is a built-up inner city district in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and is located in postal district E1. It is located 3.4 miles (5.5 km) east of Charing Cross and roughly bounded by the Bishopsgate thoroughfare on the west, Hanbury Street on the north, Brady Street and Cavell Street on the east and Commercial Road on the south. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Whitechapel area.
Whitechapel’s heart is Whitechapel High Street, extending further east as Whitechapel Road, named for a small chapel of ease dedicated to St Mary. Its earliest known rector was Hugh de Fulbourne in 1329. In about 1338 it became the parish church of Whitechapel, called, for unknown reasons, St Mary Matfelon. It was destroyed through enemy action in World War II and its location and graveyard is now a public garden on the south side of the road. Whitechapel High Street and Whitechapel Road are now part of the A11 road, anciently the initial part of the Roman road between the City of London and Colchester, exiting the city at Aldgate. In later times travellers to and from London on this route were accommodated at the many coaching inns which lined Whitechapel High Street.
By the late 16th century the suburb of Whitechapel and the surrounding area had started becoming ‘the other half’ of London. Located east of Aldgate, outside the City Walls and beyond official controls, it attracted the less fragrant activities of the city, particularly tanneries, breweries, foundries (including the Whitechapel Bell Foundry which later cast Philadelphia’s Liberty Bell and London’s Big Ben) and slaughterhouses.
In 1680, the Rector of Whitechapel, the Rev. Ralph Davenant, of the parish of St. Mary Matfellon, bequeathed a legacy for the education of forty boys and thirty girls of the parish – the Davenant Centre is still in existence although the Davenant Foundation School moved from Whitechapel to Loughton in 1966.
Population shifts from rural areas to London from the 17th century to the mid 19th century resulted in great numbers of more or less destitute people taking up residence amidst the industries and mercantile interests that had attracted them. By the 1840s Whitechapel, along with the enclaves of Wapping, Aldgate, Bethnal Green, Mile End, Limehouse, Bow, Bromley-by-Bow, Poplar, Shadwell and Stepney (collectively known today as “the East End”), had evolved, or devolved, into classic “dickensian” London, with problems of poverty and overcrowding. Whitechapel Road itself was not particularly squalid through most of this period—it was the warrens of small dark streets branching from it that contained the greatest suffering, filth and danger, such as Dorset Street (now a private alley but once described as “the worst street in London”), Thrawl Street, Berners Street (renamed Henriques Street), Wentworth Street and others.
William Booth began his Christian Revival Society, preaching the gospel in a tent, erected in the Friends Burial Ground, Thomas Street, Whitechapel, in 1865. Others joined his Christian Mission, and on August 7, 1878 the Salvation Army was formed at a meeting held at 272 Whitechapel Road. A statue commemorates both his mission and his work in helping the poor. Read more…