St Albans Removals District: Removals St Albans
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in St Albans and AL1, AL2, AL3 and AL4, Hertfordshire, St Albans Postal District.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the St Albans area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in St Albans.
About St Albans
St Albans is the main urban area of the City and District of St Albans in southern Hertfordshire, England, about 22 miles north of central London. It was a settlement of pre-Roman origin, named Verlamion by the ancient British, Catuvellauni tribe. It was the first major town on the old Roman road of Watling Street for travellers heading north and became the Roman city of Verulamium. St Alban, the first British Christian martyr, was beheaded sometime before AD 324 and gave it its modern name. It is an historic cathedral and market town, and is now a sought after dormitory town within the London commuter belt. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in St Albans.
The mediaeval town grew up on the hill to the east of this around the Benedictine foundation of St Albans Abbey. This is the spot where tradition has it that St Alban, the first British Christian martyr, was beheaded sometime before AD 324. It was, at one time, the principal abbey in England and the first draft of Magna Carta was drawn up there, reflecting its political importance. The Abbey Church, now St Albans Cathedral (formally the Cathedral & Abbey Church of St Alban but still known locally as The Abbey) became the parish church when it was bought by the local people in 1553, soon after the priory was dissolved in 1539. It was made a cathedral in 1877 when the City Charter was granted. There is evidence that the original site was somewhat higher up the hill than the present building and there had certainly been successive abbeys before the current building was started in 1077.
The St Albans area has a long history of settlement. The Celtic Catuvellauni tribe had a settlement at Prae Hill a mile or so to the west. The Roman town of Verulamium, second-largest town in Roman Britain after Londinium, was built alongside this in the valley of the River Ver a little nearer to the present town centre. After the Roman withdrawal, and prior to becoming known as St Albans, the town was called Verlamchester or Wæclingacaester by the Mercian Angles.
St Albans School, a public school which occupies a site to the west of the Abbey and which includes the 14th century Abbey Gateway, was founded in AD 948 and is the only school in the English-speaking world to have educated a Pope (Adrian IV). It numbered amongst its buildings until comparatively recently a converted former hat factory, a link with the town’s industrial past. Nearby Luton was also a notable centre for the hat making industry.
The road between the Abbey and the school, running down to the River Ver and Verulamium Park (on part of the site of Roman Verulamium), is called Abbey Mill Lane. On this road are the palaces of the Bishops of St Albans and Hertford. The Fighting Cocks public house is at the Verulamium Park end of this road. Also on the River Ver, at the St Michael’s Village end of the park, is Kingsbury watermill, which is now maintained as a museum with a waffle house attached.