London Removals Watford District: Removals Shenley
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Shenley and WD7, Watford Postal District, Hertfordshire.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the Shenley area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Shenley.
Shenley is a village in Hertfordshire, England, between Barnet and St Albans and is located in postal area WD7. The history of Shenley stretches back 1000 years or more – it is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The name Shenley is based on the Anglo-Saxon Scenlai, Scenlei or Senlai, which means ‘fair or bright clearing or wood’. In the early Middle Ages, SW Hertfordshire was heavily wooded, with isolated farmsteads or hamlets in forest clearings. Shenley would have been one of these settlements. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services incl. removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Shenley area.
By the 1300s, Shenley was considered to be a convenient parish for a country estate, being within reasonable reach of London. Its pure air, after the smoke and fog of the city, made it a healthy place to live. The present village of Shenley apparently grew to accommodate the families of those providing a variety of services for the country estates of the gentry. Parish Registers, dating back to 1657, record the likes of coachmen, bailiffs, bakers and labourers, farmers, cattle drovers, shepherds and millers. Craftsmen in Shenley included tailors, weavers, shoemakers, cordwainers, brick makers, blacksmiths and carpenters. Tiles and bricks were made in the area, due to the abundance of suitable clay.
Although many of Shenley’s population were involved in humble occupations, the village was considered quite prosperous. In 1754 the village was assessed to be the sixteenth highest parish in the county (excluding the areas around St Albans) and by 1823, the rateable value of the parish was £9796, with only 9 other parishes in the county rating higher.
During the 1st World War, part of the land at Porters was requisitioned and used as an aerodrome. Later Mr Raphael sold the land to Middlesex County Council in 1924 and, several years later, two psychiatric hospitals were built there. The design was such that as many of the existing buildings as possible were incorporated, including the mansion, the walled garden, stables and coach houses. King George V and Queen Mary officially opened the hospital in 1934. During the 2nd World War part of the hospital was designated to military casualties, with three thousand wounded soldiers being treated there.
Shenley Hospital remained in service for over 60 years. It was then sold to property developers for housing. It was not without some trepidation that some of the old-time residents viewed what had been described as an annex to Shenley but what, in reality, would more than double the number of residences in the village. However, the development took place, but as well as houses, Shenley Park was developed/maintained for the enjoyment of the whole village. These included preserving the orchard and spinney for pleasant walks and recreation, landscaping the walled garden, which are often open to the public and host a number of events throughout the year, redeveloping the tennis courts to a high standard, and, more recently, the introduction of a teashop and play-area.
Shenley also is home to the prestigious Shenley Cricket Centre which plays host to many womens and Under 19 international matches throughout the summer. At the heart of the Centre is the beautiful 19th Century Pavilion, originally designed by the legendary cricketer W.G Grace. The cricketing theme runs through many of the road names on the Porters Park housing estate.