North London Removals: Removals Palmers Green
Removals, Storage, Man and Van Hire and House Clearance in Palmers Green and N13.
Allen & Young are a North London based Moving and Storage Company and we regularly move clients to, from and within the Palmers Green area. We offer Removals, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, Storage and House Clearance, with removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap also available for purchase via our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although we offer the full range of removal services, frequently undertaking large moves, we also specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Palmers Green.
About Palmers Green
Palmers Green is a place in the London Borough of Enfield. It is a suburban area situated 7.6 miles (12.2 km) north of Charing Cross and located in postal district N13. Palmers Green today is home to the largest population of the Cypriot/Turkish Cypriot community outside of Cyprus. The area of Palmers Green was once a minute hamlet in the parish of Edmonton, formed at the junction of Green Lanes and Fox Lane. Its population was very small, the village being no more than a few isolated houses in the mid 17th century. There is a mention of a Palmers Field in 1204 and a Palmers Grove in 1340 in local records. Palmers Green was mentioned as a highway in 1324 (in Westminster Abbey Muniments).
By 1801 the area had grown to a village of 54 buildings, including two inns (according to the Middlesex Record Office). In 1871 the railway line from Wood Green to Enfield was opened and a station was built in Aldermans Hill to serve Palmers Green (half a mile away from the nearest houses).
The area remained largely undeveloped for thirty more years, as local landowners refused to sell their large estates for building. In 1902 large tracts of land were sold for building, and the area began to develop rapidly. The first large-scale developments were on the old park estate between Fox Lane and Aldermans Hill, and the Hazelwood Park Estate between Hazelwood Lane and Hedge Lane. Within this development, the building which serves as Hazelwood Infant School and Hazelwood Junior School was built in Hazelwood Lane in 1908.
Today it is a leafy, residential suburb just north of Wood Green. It has now become very popular with young families spilling over from Muswell Hill due to its very large Victorian terraced houses with big gardens. The local primary school had an “outstanding” report from ofsted in 2008. Pick of the roads are Elvendon Road and Natal Road. It’s a quiet, leafy, up and coming area with its own tennis club!
Notable local buildings include Broomfield House (pictured above) and Truro House, both sadly in a state of some neglect. The library (formerly Southgate Town hall) is intact but is often the subject of redevelopment rumours. The former Pilgrims Rest (reflecting the Palmers notation – “medieval pilgrim who carried a palm branch as a token of having visited the Holy Land”) has already been demolished for housing. The Fox public house has stood in its present guise since 1904.
An electric tramway along Green Lanes as far as Winchmore Hill was developed in 1907 helping to further develop the area. The tramway is now long gone. Read more…