East London Removals: Removals Isle of Dogs
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Isle of Dogs and E14, East London.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the Isle of Dogs area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Isle of Dogs.
If you need a remover, a man and van, some storage, packing or house clearance in the Isle of Dogs area, simply call or email Allen and Young today.
About Isle of Dogs
The Isle of Dogs is a former island in the East End of London that is surrounded on three sides (east, south and west) by one of the largest meanders in the River Thames. To the north, are the West India Docks, and the only road access to the island is across the two bridges that cross the eastern and western entrances to the dock. It is part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and part of the London Docklands. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Isle of Dogs area.
The name Isle of Dogs is first recorded in 1588 (see below), but had been in use for some years before this. Brewer’s 1898 Dictionary of Phrase and Fable attributes the name: “So called from being the receptacle of the greyhounds of Edward III. Some say it is a corruption of the Isle of Ducks, and that it is so called in ancient records from the number of wild fowl inhabiting the marshes”. Other sources discount this, believing these stories to all derive from the antiquarian Stype, and believe it might come from:
- the presence of Dutch engineers reclaiming the land from a disastrous flood;
- feral dog packs inhabiting the uncultivated marshland;
- the presence of gibbets on the foreshore facing Greenwich;
- a yeoman farmer called Brache, this being an old word for a type of hunting dog;
- A later king, Henry VIII also kept deer in Greenwich Park. Again it is thought that his hunting dogs might have been kept in derelict farm buildings on the Island.
The reality is that the origin of the name remains an enigma.
The whole area was once simply known as Stepney Marsh, the name Isle of Dogges first occurs in the Thamesis Descriptio of 1588, applied to a small island in the south-western part of the peninsula. The name is next applied to the Isle of Dogs Farm (originally known as Pomfret Manor), shown on a map of 1683. At the same time, the area was variously known as Isle of Dogs, or the Blackwell levels. By 1855, it was incorporated within the parish of Poplar, under the aegis of the Poplar Board of Works. This was incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Poplar on its formation in 1900. Read more…