West London Removals: Removals Chiswick
Removals, Storage, Man and Van Hire and House Clearance in Chiswick and W4, West London.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in North West London and we regularly move clients to and from the Chiswick area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Chiswick.
If you need a remover, a man and van, some storage, packing or house clearance in the Chiswick area, simply call or email Allen and Young today.
Chiswick is an affluent area of West London, located 5.9 miles (9.5 km) west of Charing Cross, which covers the eastern part of the London Borough of Hounslow and is located in postal district W4. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Chiswick area.
The name “Chiswick” is of Old English origin meaning “Cheese Farm” and originates from the riverside meadows and farms that are thought to have supported an annual cheese fair on Dukes Meadows up until the 18th century. Chiswick was first recorded c.1000 as Ceswican. Chiswick High Road contains a mix of retail, restaurants, food outlets and expanding office and hotel space. The wide streets encourage cafes and restaurants to provide pavement seating. Chiswick is home to the Griffin Brewery, where Fuller, Smith & Turner brew their prize-winning ales. In 2007, Chiswick was voted the 8th most expensive place to live in the UK. Artist William Hogarth also lived in the area.
Chiswick grew up as a fishing village around St. Nicholas church on Church Street, but the name Chiswick later became used for a wider area, formed originally by merging the four villages of Chiswick, Strand-on-the-Green, Little Sutton and Turnham Green. By 1815, Chiswick parish included all the area bounded by the loop of the Thames, the High Road west of Turnham Green, the north side of Chiswick Common and Bath Road to Goldhawk Road. In 1896, “Bedford Park, Chiswick” was advertised, which at that time was partly in Acton Urban District. For centuries fishermen and watermen have used the waterfront of old Chiswick to deliver goods to riverside businesses and the surrounding area. By the early nineteenth century the fishing industry in and around Chiswick was declining as the growth of industry and the invention of the flush toilet were causing pollution in the river. Fish began to die out and the river became unsuitable as a spawning ground. Locks upstream also made the river impassable by migratory fish such as salmon and shad.
Fuller, Smith & Turner P.L.C. and its predecessor companies have been brewing beer on its Chiswick site for over 350 years. The original brewery was in the gardens of Bedford House in Chiswick Mall, and these premises later expanded to the present site nearby. The company brews real ales, owns public houses, and provides local employment.
From the 18th century onwards the High Road became built up with inns and large houses. Today the High Road is a busy shopping street with many cafes, restaurants and several 19th century public houses. In 1822, the Royal Horticultural Society leased 33 acres (13.4 ha) of land in the area between the now Sutton Court Road and Duke’s Avenue. This site was used for its fruit tree collection and its first school of horticulture, and housed its first flower shows. The area was reduced to 10 acres (4.0 ha) in the 1870s, and the lease was terminated when the Society’s garden at Wisley, Surrey, was set up in 1904. Some of the original pear trees still grow in the gardens of houses built on the site. Read more…