London Removals Watford District: Removals Abbots Langley
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Abbots Langley and WD5, Watford Postal District, Hertfordshire.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the Abbots Langley area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Abbots Langley.
About Abbots Langley
Abbots Langley is a large village in the English county of Hertfordshire, situated in the WD5 postal district. It is an old settlement and is mentioned (under the name of Langelai) in the Domesday Book. Economically the village is closely linked to Watford and was once part of the Watford Rural District. Since 1974 has been included in the Three Rivers district. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Abbots Langley area.
This village has had a long history of successful human habitation. The first traces of people settling in the area were recorded by renowned archaeologist Sir John Evans (1823 to 1908). The village sits on a saucer of clay covered by a layer of gravel, and as a result water supply has never been a problem; records show that in earlier times water could be drawn from wells a mere 20ft deep.
In 1045 the Saxon thegn Ethelwine ‘the black’ granted the upper part of Langlai to St Albans Abbey as Langlai Abbatis, the remainder being the king’s Langlai. By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086, the village was inhabited by nineteen families.
The area was split into 4 manors: Abbots Langley, Langleybury, Chambersbury, and Hyde. The Manor of Abbots Langley was bequeathed by Francis Combe in his will of 1641 to Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge and Trinity College, Oxford jointly. The manors of Langleybury and Chambersbury passed through the Ibgrave and Child families, and in 1711 were conveyed to Sir Robert Raymond then Solicitor General later Attorney General and Lord Chief Justice of the King’s Bench. On the death of his son without issue in 1756 the manors passed to the Filmer family. The Manor of Hyde passed to Edward Strong in 1714, through his daughter to Sir John Strange, and then to the possession of F.M. Nares & Co until the mid 19th century.
Kitters Green developed as a separate hamlet by Manor House. The land between Kitters Green and Abbots Langley was bought from the estate of Sarah Smith by the British Land Company in 1866. It laid out plots for development along Adrian, Breakspear, Garden and Popes roads. The development of these plots led to the merging of the two settlements and the loss of Kitters Green’s separate identity.
The recent Katherine Place development has brought in some high class retailers to the centre and was sold for almost £3 million in December 2005. To the south of the village are Leavesden Film Studios, on the former Rolls-Royce airfield, where scenes from movies including Goldeneye, Sleepy Hollow and the Harry Potter series have been shot.